ULR's are trained by the union in advising members on learning needs and opportunities, they have been recognised as having significant impact on increasing motivation and enthusiasm for learning among employees, employers and in local communities.
ULRs often share a level of trust with their members and frequently engage with individuals who lack confidence or feel embarrassed about sharing their learning needs to their employer. The key tasks undertaken by learning representatives include:
- Providing Information advice and guidance on learning to members
- Help GMB and employers to establish workplace learning centres
- Assist employers and members in securing funding for learning opportunities
- Monitor the quality of provision
- Negotiate GMB learning agreements with employers including time off to study
- Secure the GMB equal opportunities strategy and policy for members through learning
GMB NEED U-LR's - for additional information on the role of a Union Learning Rep within the North West and Irish Region contact details can be found on this website.